It’s been over thirty years since I was speaking at Junior High camp when the camp’s kitchen crew discovered that an entire case of canned whipped cream was faulty. Every can was out of propellant. After further investigation, my theory proved correct. A group of boys had raided the kitchen and sucked the nitrous oxide propellant out of the cans in an effort to get high. Once again, teens inhaling nitrous oxide, also known as doing Whippets, is in the news. As you might guess, one of the reasons for this trend is that the gas is readily accessible online or at the grocery store. Inhaling the gas leads to a high that can last anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes. Medical experts are warning that this practice is not only extremely dangerous, but it can be deadly. Inhaling nitrous oxide can cut off oxygen to the brain, and can cause damage to the heart, nervous system, and other organs. Parents, warn your kids about the dangers of substance abuse.