Perhaps the cultural moment most discussed and argued currently in the media and blogosphere involves a young 21-year-old senior at San Diego Christian College who was raised in an evangelical Christian home. Carrie Prejean is the reigning Miss California USA, and she stirred the pot when during the Miss USA competition she had to answer Perez Hilton’s question about same-sex marriage.
Here’s the moment. . .
And quite a bit – as you can imagine – has happened since then. You can read the news to catch up. I’m still trying to process it all as it unfolds. Here are some preliminary thoughts that have been bouncing around in my head.
– Perez Hilton can ask any question he wants. This is America and that’s what makes America great.
– Carrie Prejean can answer Perez Hilton’s question however she wants to. Kudos to her for being blatant and honest about her convictions. By the way, if you listen to her entire answer you’ll see that she included some grace.
– My fellow Christians want this thing to be totally black and white. Prejean is the cowboy. Hilton is the Indian. Prejean is the cop. Hilton is the robber. Prejean is us. Hilton is them. Not only that, but we’ve got no place for guys like Hilton in this “Christian” America that exists only in our minds and not – or never really did – in reality. Is this as deep as we go in the church?
– When it comes to free speech, those in the church will scream, kick, and yell at Hilton for promoting his own free speech and defending his ability to propagate his worldview, while crying foul that Hilton wants to keep Prejean from speaking her mind and freely discussing her worldview. Lousy Perez Hilton. . . . he just doesn’t get it does he? Hmmmm. But sadly, his hypocrisy was being practiced long before he ever entered this world and set foot on terra firma, and it was being practiced by Christians who wanted to say everything they had to say while trying to get others who disagree to keep it down.
– Before reading my next comment. . . . watch this video. . . . from the 1:47 mark until the 2:11 mark. . .
Come on. . . . there have to be other people out there who are scratching their heads about the message Prejean is sending as she parades around in her white bikini. We’ve got a generation of girls who erroneously and dangerously seek to find their identity in what they look like. We’ve got a generation of guys who define girls the same way. I’m guessing that some of you male blog readers will even get mad at me for posting Prejean’s bikini video. . . . which is precisely why she shouldn’t be parading around as she is.
– We’ve done a terrible job integrating our faith into ALL of life. Watch the two previous videos again and let me know if you agree. If you still don’t get it, imagine Prejean answering Hilton’s question while she’s wearing her white bikini.
– And now for my prediction. . . . Prejean is going to become the darling of conservative Christians. I include myself in that conservative Christian group. I don’t include myself in the group that will embrace Prejean. I think it will play out that she will be hitting the Christian banquet circuit and the Christian book circuit real, real soon. Some Christian publisher is going to sign her to a contract if it hasn’t happened already. Just for consistency’s sake, I think she should appear at the podium and on the book cover in that white bikini. . . really.